The Givaudan Perfumery School was founded under the guidance of Roure perfumer, Jean Carles in 1946. Carles had taken young perfumers under his wing and helped guide their training well before his tutelage became a 'school'.
When Roure merged with Givaudan in 1992 the Perfumery School was retained and in 1997 finally moved from Grasse in to more modern facilities on the outskirts of Paris where it remains today.
Jean Carles developed a system of olfactive study, creating two distinct charts that organised raw materials by similarity and contrast, one for naturals and one for synthetics. The method, which bears his name, remains an industry standard and the basis for the study undertaken by perfumery students at Givaudan.